▲ Yuriage fishing harbor in 1972
▲ Yuriage fishing harbor in 1997
Yuriage of Natori City, Miyagi Prefecture, is located on the south side of Sendai City, facing the first-class river "Natori River" and the Pacific Ocean. It is a city famous for its beautiful scenery and abundant seafood caught at the fishing ports in the area. It is located about 40 minutes by car from the center of Sendai City and about 20 minutes by car from Sendai Airport.
It is said that the origin of the word "Yuriage" comes from Date Tsunamura, the 4th feudal lord of the Sendai domain, overlooked Yuriage beach, far east of the Dainenji Sanmon gate, and said, "I saw water in the gate, so I should write the word" water（水）"in the " gate（門）" and call this place" Yuriage（閖上）".
As a fishing town, seasonal seafood such as flatfish, flounder, and ark shell are caught, as well as Shirasu (baby sardines) fishing which began in 2017.
Damage caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami
▲ Cenotaph of Natorishi Shinsai Memorial Park
The Great East Japan Earthquake occurred at 14:46 on March 11, 2011 (Friday). One hour and six minutes after the main shock (15:52), a large tsunami of 8.4 meters, which is the same height as this memorial monument, rushed to Yuriage. A devastating tsunami flowed into the Natori River and Yuriage Port, destroying everything in the town.
The Yuriage area is the only urbanized area along the coast of Miyagi prefecture, and many people who lived at the estuary of the Natori River, which was a densely populated residential area, suffered severe damage. The great tsunami caused by this unprecedented earthquake has claimed the precious lives of about 800 Yuriage residents, which is about 10% of the population of Natori City.
The story of Yuriage destroyed by the tsunami is also a model for a popular Japanese anime.
Working hard for a bright future
▲ Kawamachi Terrace Yuriage in 2019
▲ Yuriage Regional Cooperation Workshop in 2021
Ten years have passed since the Great East Japan Earthquake, and the Yuriage region has continued to reconstruct the affected areas and is making steady progress.
The historic Yuriage Harbor Morning Market, which has continued for about 40 years in the Yuriage area, has reopened. Since 2019, the commercial facilities of Kawamachi Terrace Yuriage, Natori Trail Center, Natori City Cycle Sports Center, etc. have opened one after another, and the town has been reborn.
With support from all over the world, we were able to proceed with the reconstruction so far. Yuriage will continue to move toward the future in order to regain the bustle of the past. Please come and see the progress of the reconstruction.
Access from Sendai
- When using the train
- Sendai Station - JR Tohoku Main Line ・ Joban Line - JR Natori Station (15 minutes)
- Sendai Airport Station - Sendai Airport Access Line - JR Natori Station (15 minutes)
- When using a car
※When renting a car, it is recommended to take a train to Sendai Airport and rent a car. (Traffic congestion measures)
- Take Route 4 and head east from the Natori City Hall intersection (about 9 minutes)
- Sendai Tobu Road (toll fee) Proceed east from Natori IC (about 3 minutes)
- When using the bus
More information about Natoringo
- From "JR Natori Station" Natori City shared bus Natoringo "Yuriage Line" (about 15 minutes)
- From "JR Natori Station" Natori City shared bus Natoringo "Eastern Yuriage Circulation Line" (about 15 minutes)
Access from Tokyo
- When using an airplane
- Narita Airport - Sendai Airport (1 hour)
- When using the Shinkansen
- JR Tokyo Station - (Tohoku Shinkansen, about 1 hour and 40 minutes) - JR Sendai Station - (Tohoku Main Line, Joban Line, Sendai Airport Access Railway, about 15 minutes) - JR Natori Station
- When using a car
- Urawa IC - (Tohoku Expressway, about 3 hours and 30 minutes) - Sendai Minami IC - (Sendai Nambu Road, Sendai Tobu Road, about 11 minutes) - Natori IC
Access from foreign countries
- Seoul-Sendai Airport (2 hours)
- Guam-Sendai Airport (4 hours)
- Beijing-Sendai Airport (5 hours)
- Shanghai-Sendai Airport (3 hours)
- Taipei-Sendai Airport (3 hours)
- Bangkok-Sendai (6 hours)
NATORI YURIAGE MAP